Review: The Witness


One of the my goals in 2015 is to read more books. I just finished The Witness by Nora Roberts, and am pleased to report it was a very good read. 

After being let down by the The Search and similarly disappointed with Dark Witch , Nora and I parted ways for a little bit. I actually found myself re-reading some of her older works including Dance Upon the Air (Nell & Zack... swoon) and some really old (we're talking eighties) classics from her Silhouette days. So when Christmas rolled around and my boyfriend's mom asked me what I wanted, Nora Roberts wasn't far from the back of my mind. 

I went to Amazon to search for her newest releases and stumbled upon The Witness. It had pretty good reviews, many of which claimed this novel (Nora's 200th) reminded them of the way Nora used to write. That was good enough for me. 

The Witness started off with a bang and didn't let up until the last page. There was action, romance, suspense, and, most importantly, sizzling chemistry between the hero and heroine, Brooks and Abigail. While Abigail's work was an important part of the story line, it didn't overshadow the story line, which was quite refreshing (especially after the incredibly disappointing Bridal Quartet). I also liked that while Abigail and Brooks were strong together, they were also strong independently.

It was a real treat to see Abigail evolve and change throughout the course of the novel while maintaining her quirky (not to mention literal) personality. Brooks went through some changes as well, and had enough of his own stuff going on to keep the plot quick and interesting when written from his point of view.

And did I mention the Russian Mafia is involved? 

Overall, I found The Witness to be classic Nora Roberts. It was a thoroughly enjoyable read, and one I recommend for new fans and old alike.

0 comments :

Post a Comment